Friday, September 2, 2011

The Old Bike

It has been about 11 years since I built up my old bike. My old bike is a Raleigh Super Course circa 1981 with all new components (Shimano 105 groupset, mavic wheels and Thompson stem and bar). Steel frame is plenty strong and does not have much flex but also weighs a million pounds. The frame has a 57cm top tube which is a bit cramped. I use a set back seat post and a 140mm stem to offset the shorter reach. The seat tube height is fine at 65cm. Problem is I can not get my seat post high enough because the handle bars are lower than I would like due to the 300 mm steerer tube on the forks. Handle bar width is 44cm. I am runing 180mm cranks which I am very happy with. If I could get the head tube higher and the top tube longer to reduce the length of the stem I would be happy. With a  long stem like that I have always had weird steering, just feels like too much leverage on the bars.


Specs:

Frame
Head Tube - 22.5cm
Top Tube - 57cm
Seat Tube - 65cm
Chain Stays - 42cm
Wheel Base - 104cm
Standover -89cm
BB Height - 27cm

Forks
Steerer Tube Length - 300mm
Diameter -1"
Weight - 655g
Rake - 43mm

Overall Weight - 23 lb

No comments:

Post a Comment