Sunday, December 18, 2011

Build Up



Here is the latest photo. I am waiting for my Mavic wheels to come in but decided to throw my wife's Super-Six wheel set on just to see how it looks and fits. Very happy with the way it looks. Her wheels have red spoke nipples that match my red Chris King headset. The bike in this configuration weighs 19lbs. with her wheels and no chain. Hopefully the Mavics are lighter and stronger.

As for fit, it is hard to tell just coasting around the front of the house. It definitely feels good. The seat stays are a little shorter than my old frame and I hit the back of my shoes on the rear derailleur. But I had on running shoes and I think I will be fine with actual cycling shoes. Also, I am a bit concerned that the handlebars are not high enough and that the 45 rake fork (vs. 43) might make for some sluggish steering. Hard to tell as the tires I had on were low on air pressure.

6 comments:

  1. I would be shocked if you were able to detect a difference between a 43 and 45 degree rake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, once it was all built up the whole thing felt so new and different I have no idea what it would feel like with a 43. I like the ride a lot though. I did a handful of rides in a group and the steering was just fine. Not sluggish at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bike looks great...anything that you would have changed component or size wise?

      Delete
    2. Size wise it is right on. I am very happy with the Rival groupe. I might be able to go a bit lower on the stem, but at this point I can do spacers so no big deal. The two major things I would have liked would have been: 1. Titanium frame. My MT bike is Ti and I am very happy with it. But for budget sake steel works. 2. Second I would have gone with carbon bars to soak up road vibration, but I can always upgrade later.

      Delete
    3. I'm in the process of a similar build, a 66cm, and am looking at wheels. I was wondering how the Ksyriums were holding up?

      Delete
    4. So far so good. No complaints. I weigh about 215 lbs. I have not had to take them back in for any break-in adjustments either.

      Delete