Friday, February 21, 2014

Brazing Rack Mounts

Did some rack braze-ons last weekend. It was a little tough because I used MAPP gas and it took a awhile to get to brazing temperature. There was a sweet spot temperature that was hard to get to without burning off too much of the flux. The biggest solution came when I was taking flux from other parts of the assembly and moving it into the area I was working on. I practiced a bunch on a piece of scrap chrome-Molly and felt comfortable enough trying it on the bike.


Getting the parts hot enough for the silver to flow when I had the parts clamped together was a challenge. Once I put a tack weld of silver solder on and could remove the clamp the silver flowed OK. I don't think I will win any awards for the looks of my brazing but the mounts are on very solid.



2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Just curious, at some point do you think you'd try your hand at frame fabrication? How hard could it be?

    I won't post the links to avoid junking up the comments, but there are two 27" (69ish cm) frames on craigslist>minneapolis right now. A Fuji Royale and a Schwinn Traveler. It appears life was better for tall cyclists 40 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one day I will try my hand at frame building. For now I have three bikes that fit real good. That is quite am accomplishment for me! Those 69cm frames are definitely a good find. The only thing I do find with those old frames is that the top tube was fairly short compared to the height of the seat tube. Also the bottom bracket is pretty low on a Traveler as they were touring bikes. It has not bothered me much on mine but I can scrape the pedal easily in a corner if I don't pay attention.

    ReplyDelete