Friday, July 18, 2014

Old vs. New Gear Ratios

The new drivetrain I am planning is a 1x10 that will give me 10 total gears. The drivetrain I am replacing is a 2x6 that provides 12 gears. However, I calculated out the gear ratio for each combination and found that there were some overlaps. To my surprise I only have 9 unique gear combinations inthe current   drivetrain. I will get more gear combinations with the 1x10.


Here is the current 2x6 gearing using "gain ratio". The yellow items are the overlapping gears showing 9 actual gear combinations. I am using 46T and 36T front rings with a 14-28 six-speed freewheel.


Here  is the 1x10 set up. There are 10 gears with a higher and lower gear combo than the old setup. I will use a 39T chain ring and a 11-36 cassette.





No comments:

Post a Comment